Sally L. Daniel, CFC

Tax Collector      Hernando County

Tax Collector

Hernando County
Sally L. Daniel, CFC

Sally L. Daniel, CFC

Tax Collector  Hernando County

Property Taxes

The Hernando County Tax Collector, an elected Constitutional Officer, is responsible for collecting the taxes that the taxing authorities set.

Tax Rates are set by the County's taxing authorities;the Hernando County Board of County Commissioners, Brooksville City Council, Hernando County School District, etc. depending on within whose jurisdiction your property lies.

The Hernando County Property Appraiser, an elected Constitutional Officer, is responsible for identifying, locating and fairly valuing all property, both real and personal, within the county for Ad Valorem tax purposes. The Property Appraiser does not create the value.

There are two types of Property Taxes assessed: Real Estate and Tangible Personal Property.

For detailed information about Real Property and Tangible Personal Property Taxes, please visit the Property Appraisers web site at

The real estate tax bill is a combined notice of ad valorem taxes and non-ad valorem assessments:


  • Ad valorem taxes are based on the value of the property. Examples of ad valorem taxes are school, county and city taxes.
  • Non-ad valorem assessments are based on factors other than the property value such as square footage or number of units. Levying authorities are responsible for setting the non-ad valorem assessments. Examples of non-ad valorem assessments are stormwater utility, fire and rescue, and solid waste collections.

"Tangible Personal Property (TPP) is everything other than real estate that has value by itself. It includes such things as furniture, fixtures, tools, machinery, rental household appliances, signs, equipment, leasehold improvements, supplies, leased equipment, and any other equipment used in a business or to earn an income. It does not include motor vehicles, inventory, boats, or trailers.

The 2008 Constitutional Amendment 1 provides a $25,000 Exemption to taxpayers who file their TPP returns by April 1."

Section 197.222, Florida Statutes, allows an alternative plan for payment of property taxes. A taxpayer who elects to pay taxes by the installment method will make payments based upon an estimated tax equal to the actual taxes levied on the property in the preceding year.

default  Alternative Payment Application

To pay 20__ property taxes by installment, please sign, date, complete property identification number, and return this application to your county tax collector before May 1, 20__. The tax collector will mail your first notice of payment due, with instructions. If you have not received your first notice by June 15, 20__, contact your tax collector's office.

Please note that Florida Law requires that your estimated taxes must be more than$100 for each tax notice to participate in the Installment Payment Plan. If your estimated taxes for 20__ are $100 or less, you do not qualify for this plan.

If you choose to participate, you must make the first installment payment by June 30. Once you have paid the first payment on time, you are required to continue for the tax year. If you elect to discontinue participation, you will not receive the discounts provided by law. Installment payments that become delinquent must be paid with the next installment payment.

Discounts are not allowed on delinquent payments.

- Have my taxes been paid?

You can verify using our Collector-Appraiser Tax Search (CATSSYS) on the web or contact our office at 352-754-4180 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

- Where do I send my tax payment, and to whom do I make the check payable?

Make checks payable to:

Hernando County Tax Collector

Mail payments to:

Hernando County Tax Collector

20 North Main Street, Room 112

Brooksville, FL 34601-2892

Read more: Tax FAQ's

Email Addresses Public Record Disclaimer - Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.